home About Tutorials Featured Follow Contributors Sponsor Contact

MC

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

.:Tutorial Tuesday - Makeshift Chandelier:.

Before I start with my tutorial today, I just need to let you all know that I am guest posting over at Sew Much Ado today for her Go Green Month. Be sure to check out her blog today and throughout the month for great ideas on recycling and re-purposing!


So, if you've been reading my blog for awhile now, you know that I've been wanting a chandelier to put in my girls' room. But that's really not an expense we can afford right now! So I figured there has to be some way that I can make something to hang around our current light fixture to give it a chandelier-esque look!

What you need:
- wire floral wreath (mine is a 12 inch; you'll need to get one to fit around your fixture)
- wire
- washers
- spray paint
- glass beads
- trim
- hooks

I made a trip to Lowe's and found a great selection of sizes of washers. It's really up to you how many you get, and what sizes you get. I wanted an assortment, and I didn't want the entire chandelier to be washers. The total for all of my washers was about $5.

My girls' room is decorated in purple, cream, and black, so I knew I wanted to spray paint the washers black to match the room. At the time, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the wreath part, so I spray painted it too, just in case any of it ended up showing. I used the $1 spray paint from Wal-Mart and it worked just great! Be sure to do both sides of the washers. (You can see I had two floral wreaths. I had toyed with the idea of somehow using two, but only ended up using the larger one.)


While that was drying, I sorted out my glass beads. You won't want to use plastic beads because they will be so close to a heat source, and we don't want melted beads for a decoration! I had some of these beads on hand, but the rest I got from Michael's when they were 40% off on sale. I don't think I even spent $10 on beads.

Once my washers were dry, I laid them out on my table, and sorted out which beads could hang in the middle of the washers.

After doing that, I laid out how I wanted my strands to hang. I planned on making ten strands, and I wanted them all to be different.

Now it's time to start stringing! I put some small glass seed beads in a little loop, secured with a crimp bead, at the end of each strand. Now the strand I'll be stringing the washers and beads on is doubled for extra strength.

String beads on as you would normally, being sure to put them through both strands of wire.

The washers are a bit different. When it is time to put a washer on, you are only going to put the washer over one strand of your wire. So it will look like you have a strand on the top of the washer, and a strand on the bottom of the washer - like it's being hugged by the wire.

Then you put the bead that is to go in the middle of the washer through BOTH strands of the wire.

On the other side of the washer, again you are going to split your wire around it.

Then you continue stringing your beads along both of the wires. This secures the washers in place.

Do this for all of your strands!

Now you are going to want to tie the wire of your strands around your wire wreath how you want them placed. To do this, I put my wire wreath on a hanger and hung it from my shower rod in my bathroom so that it could hang freely. I then secured each wire by putting a dot of hot glue on it to hold it in place. Crafting in the bathroom - it's the thing to do!

I thought my chandelier looked a little bare, so I decided to make ten filler strands. I used some smaller glass beads I had on hand, and made ten strands of just beads to go in between the larger strands.

Again, I tied them around the wreath and secured them with hot glue.

Now it's time to add your trim. I originally started out with a different trim, but it looked messy and it hung too close to the lights for my liking. I won't even share those pictures - it wasn't pretty!

So I took that off, and decided to use a marabou boa. I already had one, and had to buy one more at Michael's using a 40% off coupon. They were $1.99 for six feet, and I used two full ones. I hot glued the start of the boa, and wrapped it around in between the strands. I only hot glued it at the beginnings and ends of the boas.

Next it is time for your handy husband to put the hooks up around the light fixture and hang it for you! Now admire your work!

It's no fancy chandelier, but I like that it adds a little bit more to my girls' room!


6 comments:

  1. I love it! Great idea!

    Please feel free to link your project up with my Talented Tuesday Link party on My Frugal Family, found at http://theherberfamily.blogspot.com/2010/03/welcome-to-talented-tuesday.html!

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bling bling...
    It's very "spurkly" as my neice would say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you strung them together with the washers - much to think about creatively!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stuff like this...you know, original stuff! Great job. So unique and girlie! Perfect.
    Rebecca of the R&W Gals

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute and girly! Those wire wreath forms are the best..I use them for so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so crafty! Look at you! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love reading them! I try to reply to questions the best I can, but you can always email me at sumossweetstuff {at} gmail {dot} com.

Sumo:)