Well my sweet husband served his LDS Church mission in Brazil. He loved the people, the country, and the food! One thing they eat almost daily is Rice and Beans. It was his favorite and set out to learn how to make it. Well it has been several years and he finally figured it out (this is the only thing he cooks).
Let me just say this is not the rice and beans you would get from a Mexican restaurant-these are Brazilian style. Black beans with any type of meat they had thrown it it (Don't worry we don't use mystery meat) and very mild flavored rice. This is how we make it as a main dish for our small family. We have made it without the meat and it makes a really good side dish.
Brazilian Black Beans
1/2 bag of black beans
1 ham hock (looks weird but it makes it taste better)
1/2 of a large onion (chopped)
3 to 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1/4 pound of sausage
1/2 pound of Bacon
1/2 tsp. of salt (you may want to add more depending on taste)
(you can use more or less of anything depending on taste also you can change the type of meat-we often use what we have at home)
1. Soak your bean over night
2. Add your beans, ham hock, and water (enough so its about an inch higher then the beans) to the crock pot. Cook on low for about 6 hours (or until the beans are done). It will be closer to 8 if you use more beans.
3. Remove the ham hock (you can cut it up and add it back into the beans but we usually don't)4. In one pan add your onion and garlic and bacon. cook until finished. Add it to the beans
5. In a separate pan cook your sausage. Add to the beans
6. Add your salt and let it simmer for a few minutes (until the rice is done).
Brazilian Rice-I use this recipe.
2 cups white rice
1/4 of an onion chopped small
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups hot water
1. Saute your onion and garlic in the vegetable oil.
2. Add your rice. Stir it around so it is coated in oil and let it brown for a few minutes.
3. Add hot water and salt.
4. Cover and turn the heat to low. Let it cook for 20 minutes.
To serve: Add rice to your plate first and then cover the rice with the beans. I like to mix mine together. Its really yummy! We also like to serve it with Brazilian soda.
Come by Crystal's Craft Spot anytime for more crafts and tutorial. Thanks again Summer for letting me stop by. Its been a lot of fun!